Founded in 1966, The University of Kansas Hospital Addictions Clinic, located on the main hospital campus in Kansas City, is the eighth oldest methadone maintenance clinic in the country. As a leader and pioneer in the specialty, the Addictions Division is a central component of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. Our Addictions program is committed to serving the diverse needs of the community and is pleased to offer the most comprehensive treatment program for opioid-use disorder in the greater Kansas City region. In order to meet the growing demands of our patient population, we’re seeking to hire an additional Addictions Psychiatrist to join our interdisciplinary team. As a dual employee of The University of Kansas Physicians and The University of Kansas Medical Center, this individual will help advance our tripartite mission through quality patient care, research and discovery, and educating the next generation of healthcare providers.
- Provides direct patient care services within the Addictions program to diagnosis and treat various substance use disorders, co-morbid psychiatric illnesses, and other related medical conditions
- Evaluates, screens, and assesses each patient to determine whether an admission into the program is appropriate; refers patients to lower or higher levels of care as needed
- Tailors each individual’s treatment plan to their unique needs, facilitating medication-assisted treatment (Methadone, Suboxone, Vivitrol), psychiatric evaluation and management, psychotherapy, and other evidence-based treatment modalities
- Collaborates with the clinic’s medical, clinical, and administrative support staff, offering case consultations and other resources as needed; participates in treatment planning meetings and peer review activities
- Works effectively with a multitude of healthcare providers, both internal and external to the department, to ensure optimal healthcare delivery; coordinates patient care services extending across the continuum of care
- Documents the medical services rendered accurately, thoroughly, and in a timely manner in accordance with established organizational policies
- Provides direct and/or collaborative supervision for medical students, residents, and other trainees; conducts a clinical practice that promotes and advances the organization’s educational mission
- Adheres to the applicable licensure, accreditation, confidentiality, and treatment standards as outlined in the state and federal regulations; complies with program specific policies and procedures
- Assumes on-call responsibilities for dosage changes and other medication administration concerns; provides telephone consultation on an as-needed basis
- Maintains flexibility regarding clinical assignments in order to meet the goals and objectives of the department; engages in organizational and departmental initiatives and committees as needed
- Excellent work-life balance with minimal call shared with the Resident service. Calls are typically 1-in-6 and compensated
- Applicant must be BC/BE in Addictions Psychiatry and licensed or license eligible in the state of Kansas
- Addictions experience required
- HERO program gives employees countless opportunities to volunteer in community programs and events
- Employees participate in events such as American Heart Association Heart Walk, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, American Stroke Foundation Stroke Walk, and much more!
- Progressive healthcare promoting diversity and inclusion. For the last 2 years, we've been recognized for the equitable and inclusive care we provide for LGBTQ patients and families by the Healthcare Equality Index (HEI)
- Corporate partners with the Kansas City Chiefs, Kansas City Royals, Kansas Speedway, and the Sprint Center to raise awareness in the importance of quality community healthcare
- Kansas City metro area has a population of greater than 2 million
- Awarded America's 4th Most Cultured City by Travel + Leisure magazine
- Outdoor activities year-round with more than 600 parks and 24 public lakes
- Sports enthusiasts enjoy a variety of professional and collegiate sports
- Amazing Food - from KC barbeque to local farm-fresh fare and ethnic varieties
- Affordable housing, including downtown lofts, suburban neighborhoods and rural properties
The region's premier academic medical center
As a tertiary/quaternary inpatient hospital, we advance the power of medicine to heal even the most acutely ill patients in this region and beyond. We are unwavering in our goal to be the best healthcare provider in the United States.
A partnership of excellence and collaboration
Here, physicians work with an entire team of professionals to teach, conduct research and care for patients. Through the health system’s strong partnerships with The University of Kansas Physicians and the University of Kansas Medical Center, our physicians have the resources to practice evidence-based medicine at the highest level. As faculty of the medical school, hospital physicians train the next generation of physicians.
- Expert physicians in more than 200 specialties
- Innovative research shaping the standards of care
- Advanced patient care and world-class service
- A vibrant community and rich opportunity
A world-class patient experience
Every member of our staff continually works to ensure the best experience for every patient. As a result, our facility has been nationally recognized for more than a decade. We've been ranked among the nation’s best on the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals lists.
The 2018-19 national rankings for The University of Kansas Hospital:
- Cancer, #42. Eighth year in a row.
- Cardiology & Heart Surgery, #24. Recognized 12 years in a row.
- Diabetes & Endocrinology, #18. Sixth time the program has made the list.
- Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, #42. Eighth year in a row on the list.
- Geriatrics, #23. Eighth time geriatrics has made the list.
- Nephrology (kidney), #39. On the list nine times.
- Neurology & Neurosurgery, #31. Seventh consecutive year.
- Pulmonology, #41. Ranked for the ninth year in a row.
- Urology, #23. Made the list for the seventh time.
The hospital is also listed as “high performing” in orthopedics, which means we scored in the top 10 percent of all hospitals receiving a score in this specialty. In addition, University HealthSystemConsortium ranked us among the top 10 in quality and safety among the nation’s top academic medical centers.
Advancing the power of medicine™
Learn more about The University of Kansas Health System, its expertise
and leadership in medical research and education by clicking here.
Kansas City offers a wealth of cultural, educational and entertainment amenities in a vibrant, diverse community.
Combine that with all the affordability and charm of the Midwest,and Kansas City emerges as a truly wonderful place to live.
Visit Think KC for detailed information!